What you need to know about Redesigning
We specialize in redesigning heirloom wedding gowns into modern wedding gowns, as well as christening gowns. However, our abilities are not limited to redesigning wedding gowns.
1. Call to book an appointment for a free 15 minute consultation* and be sure to bring the item you would like redesigned. During the consultation, we will discuss the your ideas and the possibilities available. With redesigns, we like to have as much time as possible, but we know that everyone is on a different timeline. Please refer to the timeline section by clicking the "What You Need to Know Tab" to get an idea of how much time may be needed for your redesign based on the type of category your redesigned garment fits. *The first fifteen (15) minutes of a redesign consultation is free. Consultations lasting longer than 15 minutes are $15 per additional 15 minutes.
2. Come in for your scheduled consultation. During this initial consultation we will discuss your ideas and review the options based on the original garment. We will review what may need to be done to bring your vision to life and give you a price quote based on that. If you choose to proceed with the redesign, a non-refundable deposit (half the estimate) will be required before we begin working on your garment. Once we receive the deposit, you will receive a follow up date and time to come back in and we will begin the process of redesigning.
Some things to bring to the consultation appointment:
- The garment to be redesigned
- Pictures and ideas of what you have in mind
- Few people. Too many people can be hard for this kind of appointment. Besides, it is YOUR outfit, so we need to know what YOU want it to be like!
- A checkbook or cash. We do not accept credit cards, and a deposit is needed before work can begin.
3. At the first fitting, you will try on your garment in progress. With redesigns you should expect to come in a number of times following your initial consultation. Your first fitting is usually more for us than you, so we can see how everything is lining up (not usually the most exciting appointment to bring people). After the first fitting you will start to see more of what your garment will look like.
Things to remember as you come in for your fittings:
- Bring the shoes and all undergarments you intend to wear with the item being tailored.
- Not too many people. While it is exciting, remember the seamstress needs your attention.
- What you originally said you had wanted. Changes can be made, but only within reason.
- Communication with the designer is VITAL as she can only make what has been said.
4. Alterations. Yes, your garment will need to be altered as it is being recreated. However, this is complimentary and is just part of the process.
Things to consider at this point:
- Although we press the parts of the garment on which we are working, the entire garment may need pressing/steaming at an extra cost. Inquire during this phase of the process to find out.
- Final payments. Please remember that your final payments must be made and that we do not accept checks within 10 days of pick up.
5. Taking the garment home! Now your garment has been redesigned and is ready to go home with you. If there is a balance remaining on your invoice, please don't forget cash, we do not accept checks within 10 days of pick up.
Some things to consider at this point:
- Getting the garment home. Make sure you have enough room in your car!
- Pressing/Steaming. We do press the parts of the garment we work on, but it may still need to be fully pressed out. We do offer this service, just ask us about it!
- Dress preservation. If this is a wedding dress, while it may not be on your mind now, you may want to plan on having your dress preserved in the future.